- Publisher: Apocryphile Press
- ISBN: 1933993294
ART THAT DARES TO SHOW JESUS AS GAY OR FEMALE has been censored or destroyed. Now for the first time these beautiful, liberating, sometimes shocking images are gathered for all to see. Packed with full-page color illustrations, this eye-opening collection features a diverse group of eleven contemporary artists who work both inside and outside the church. They present the gay Jesus, the woman Christ, and other cutting-edge Christian images. Their art respects the teachings of Jesus and frees the minds of viewers to see in new ways. Here the artists tell the stories behind their art. A lively introduction puts the images into political and historical context, exploring issues of blasphemy and artistic freedom.
• Elisabeth Ohlson Wallin stuns Europe with photos of Jesus among queers
• Sister Wendy of PBS honors Janet McKenzie’s androgynous Christ
• An icon by Robert Lentz helps a famous gay priest connect with God
• Churches debate Christa, a bronze female crucifix by Edwina Sandys
• Blogs buzz over Becki Jayne Harrelson’s notorious “faggot crucifixion”
KITTREDGE CHERRY is an author and art historian who operates JesusInLove.org, the first website devoted to the queer Christ. She served as a minister in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community for seven years. One of her primary duties was promoting dialogue on homo- sexuality at the National Council of Churches (USA) and the World Council of Churches. Cherry has degrees in journalism and art history, and a master of divinity degree from Pacific School of Religion. Her books include Jesus in Love: A Novel; Hide and Speak: A Coming Out Guide; and Equal Rites: Lesbian and Gay Worship, Ceremonies, and Celebrations.